Conservation Area Society
Welcome to the Belgrave Hall Conservation Area Society Website
The Belgrave Hall Conservation Area Society is an independent group dedicated to retaining the past, maintaining the present and securing the future of the historic Belgrave Hall area of Leicester.
The BHCAS was formed in October 2012 when the Leicester City Council announced plans to close Belgrave Hall as a free-to-enter public museum and turn it into an events / wedding venue.
Although the issue with Belgrave Hall is a major part of our work, we are concerned with other matters. This includes the future of St. Peter’s Church and planning applications submitted that may have an impact on the Conservation Area.
Contact us for more information:
Statement of Character
Belgrave was originally one of Leicestershire’s ancient villages, the first mention of which, under its’ original Saxon name of Merdegrave (which in old English means Martins grove) appears in Domesday Book of 1086 when it belonged to Hugh de Grandmesnil. Hugh had fought at the side of William the Conqueror at Hastings and was his chief cavalry commander.
St. Peter's Church
The oldest building within the Conservation Area, St Peter’s dates back to the 12th Century and is grade-II* listed. The oldest parts of the building that can be seen from the outside are the base and middle sections of the tower. The 12th Century doorway is now behind the castellated South porch which was added in 1826. It is presumed that the present building is on the site of an earlier Saxon structure, but there is nothing now left to support this theory.
Belgrave Hall was built as a substantial family home between 1709 and 1713 by Edmund Cradock, a Leicester hosiery merchant, on a site adjacent to Belgrave Church. At the time Belgrave was a small village three miles from Leicester, between the roads to Loughborough and Lincoln, and Belgrave Hall set a trend for wealthy businessmen to build themselves out-of-town houses in the area.